Saturday 13 June 2015

Coles supporting Barilla



Down, down, ethics are down




A bit of catch up:


"I would never do an advert with a homosexual family.. If the gays don't like it, they can go eat another brand"

Guido Barilla, CEO of Barilla


So of course all right thinking people were outraged and begun a boycott of Barilla. Mr Barilla later came out saying; 



“With reference to my statement ​​yesterday, I apologize if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding, and if they have offended the sensibilities of some people. For clarity, I wish to point out that I have the deepest respect for all persons, without distinction of any kind. I have the utmost respect for homosexuals and for the freedom of expression of everyone. I also said and I repeat that I respect marriages between people of the same sex. Barilla in its advertising has always chosen to represent the family because this is the symbol of hospitality and affection for everyone.”



This forced and insincere ‘apology’ didn’t fool anyone; insulting gays in the last sentence didn’t help at all.
 'Facebook Apology'
Further comments implied lesbians were not real women, and no one should ever piss off the lesbians.
"In the interview I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family,"

 Use this on your Facebook

So you’re all caught up, nothing much has changed. 

As i am innocently shopping at my local Coles I see this;


Its a large advertisment at the front of coles, i have to walk past this to go into the store. The person on the advertisement is from the band Status Quo who sing the Coles theme song, down down prices are down. 
To the average ignorant customer it may just look like an obnoxious advertisement for pasta, but not to the LGBTI customers and those who support us. Its a advertisment against gay marriage, against familys that are inclusive of gays, it says lesbians arnt real women, it supports bigotry homophobia and hate.
It’s sickening, that Coles would support a company that doesn’t consider gay people, family.


What can you do?

Don’t like the Barilla Facebook page.
Like the Boycott Barilla Facebook Page.
Don’t buy Barilla products, take up their challange and "eat someone else s pasta".
Let Coles know you don’t support homophobia and bigotry. You can do this on the Coles Website (you will need a receipt) and on their Facebook.
Let Status Quo know you don’t support homophobia and bigotry, on their own website and on their Facebook page.
 


Thank you for supporting equality 


Update: 

In response to my own complaint Coles has said;


"We’ll share your comments with our Merch and Marketing teams for review."

I hope with your support they will remove these advertisements and perhaps their support of Barilla.

Update: 

Barilla have replied to this blog post, see their reply here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment