Wednesday 4 May 2016

Australia Post Charges

Australia Post charges


I was shocked recently to see in the news that Australia Post announced new charges.

The announcement said they planed to charge customers as follows.

 Customers will be charged $3 to pick up an undelivered parcel held for 6-10 days.
 Customers will be charged $6 to pick up an undelivered parcel held for 11-15 days.
 Customers will be charged $9 to pick up an undelivered parcel held for 15-30 days.
 After 30 days the parcel will be returned to sender. 



What i didn't realize was that Australia Post already return undelivered parcels to sender after 10 days.
So what happens in Australia is that a delivery guy will attempt to deliver a parcel one time and if the recipient isn't home will leave a card saying the parcel needs to be picked up from Australia Post.



Now call me crazy but i have a suggestion. I know its radical, but could Australia Post actually complete the transaction that the customer has already paid for, by that i mean actually delivering the package?
 That they only attempt delivery one time and now plan to charge customers a ransom for the inconvenience of having to do Australia Posts job for them. I mean that kind of is the most important part of the transaction, actually getting the parcel into the customers hands.


We pay for a service, that service being delivery of a package, Australia Post should be lucky  they don't have to (partially) refund customers when they fail to deliver a package, not charging customers extra when the customer is forced to complete the delivery themselves.



 On a personal note i can say that one very hot summer Friday, i was expecting a delivery so checked the tracking online. To my utter dismay it said they had attempted delivery, now i was sitting beside the front door the whole day, on and off, and my dog was laying in front of the front door screen sleeping, and getting the small breeze that flowed through the house. There was no way even a stealth ninja delivery guy crept up those stairs and knocked on the door without alerting me or my dog.
I checked for a card but none was found. I received a card in my letter box the next Monday and had to go to the Post office to get my package myself.

This only happened once but i have definitely received these cards in the mail with the regular mail in the past, not recently though.
These things make my worried the system may be abused.



No comments:

Post a Comment